Dr. Marvin Firestone is an expert in the area of Medical Law. Dr. Firestone received his medical degree from Temple University in 1964, and his law degree from the University of Colorado in 1980. He was admitted to the California Bar in 1982 and provides medical-legal consultation and medical law services across the State of California. His legal practice primarily involves representation of physicians in cases involving hospital staff privileges, licensure, medical practice disputes, and other complex medical-legal issues.
Dr. Firestone formerly held the Hirsh Chair at the George Washington University in Washington, D.C. where he was a professor at its Medical and Law Schools and School of Health Services Administration, teaching Legal Medicine, Psychiatry and the Law, and Legal Aspects of Hospital Administration. He has published over 100 works relating to legal medicine and medical ethics.
Dr. Firestone was the Editor-in-Chief of Medical Legal Lessons, is Editor-in-Chief Emeritus of Legal Medicine Questions and Answers, and is on the Editorial Board of the Journal of Legal Medicine and Textbook of Legal Medicine, both publications of the American College of Legal Medicine. He is the past President of the American College of Legal Medicine and a certified specialist in Legal Medicine/Medical Jurisprudence by the American Board of Law in Medicine.
Published Works (for a complete list of Dr. Firestone’s published works, please see his curriculum vitae):
- “Medical Staff Peer Review in the Credentialing and Privileging of Physicians”, chapter in Legal Medicine, 7th Edition (Mosby - 2007).
- “Physician Conduct at Deposition & Trial” Legal Medicine & Medical Ethics E-Book, published by the American Board of Legal Medicine, 2010.
- “Liability of Psychiatrist” Legal Medicine & Medical Ethics E-Book, 5 published by the American Board of Legal Medicine, 2010
- American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law
- American College of Legal Medicine (Fellow)
- California Academy of Attorneys for Health Care Professionals
- California Society of Healthcare Attorneys
- California Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar Association